Laura Erickson's For the Birds

Friday, January 11, 2008

Spying on my birds


This has been a hectic week, but I'm starting to get a little settled in. I leave for work while it's still pretty dark, and get home after dark. I set out a feeder on my balcony Friday, but didn't have any visitors until Sunday. Even more birds showed up Monday, and every day this week I've added at least one new species to my feeder list! How did I know they were there? I used my spiffy little BirdCam! So far, the camera has seen Tufted Titmice, Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatch (I saw Red-breasted Nuthatch myself on Sunday, but haven't seen any evidence that it's showed up since then), Downy Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Dark-eyed Junco, and American Goldfinch.

My cat Kasey has been watching the birds all week--she's even left some saliva on the balcony door! But she's an indoor cat, so the birds are safe.

Meanwhile, I haven't had much chance for Bigbying yet. The best bird I've had at work has been a Common Redpoll flying over Wednesday.

When I finally have Internet at my apartment, I'll add a bunch more photos!