Laura Erickson's For the Birds

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Bell Museum, please reconsider!

Oh, my. Birdchick posted on her blog that the Bell Museum of Natural History is going to be moving to a new building--a literally new one. They showed off the plans for the new construction at the MOU Paper Session yesterday. But they developed a design that has a huge window--a potential bird disaster. I don't know if this is part of their plan to get new specimens for the museum (I'm being facetious here, but Bob Zink MUST realize that windows are one of the main sources of bird specimens) or they're trying to save money on construction costs (glass is cheaper than many building materials). I sure hope they reconsider. Read the details at Birdchick's blog. If they do keep these plans despite the obvious irony of a natural history facility killing potentially thousands of birds, I hope they develop effective screening. Several facilities did just this as shown on my safe windows page.