Laura Erickson's For the Birds

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dave Barry Alert!

Oh my gosh! I got an email yesterday from the wonderful Judi Smith, humor writer Dave Barry's assistant. She said when Dave gets back from his book tour, I can interview him for my radio program again! I'm reading his new book, Dave Barry's History of the Millennium (So Far!), finding obscure bird references within (such as people super-gluing turkey rectums shut [in dead turkeys, presumably for cooking purposes]) that I'll talk with him about. I'm leaving today for Utah's Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge (I'll be doing a program about owls there Tuesday night if you happen to be in the neighborhood!) and then on to New Mexico for a statewide environmental education conference next weekend (I'm the keynote speaker!). When I get back I'll schedule the interview, and will podcast it ASAP.

One of my goals in life is to talk Dave Barry into writing Dave Barry's Field Guide to Nature: How and Why to Avoid It. That would be a funny book! Here's a pipe dream--what if I could talk Dave Barry into letting me go through all his archived columns searching out all his references to exploding House Sparrows and dog-scaring toads and other nature subjects to help him research and organize the book?