Laura Erickson's For the Birds

Monday, October 22, 2007

Bozeman, Montana!

I stayed with my good friend Jeff Pentel last night after a splendid drive out here. It was cloudy through North Dakota, but beautiful--it was light by the time we reached Theodore Roosevelt National Park, and we took a little break. A Sharp-tailed Grouse was moseying around the rest stop in the park, curious about Photon! Driving I-94 through the park we also saw a HUGE black bear, antelopes, and deer. Red-tailed Hawks were abundant, and saw a couple of Northern Harriers, too.

Crossing into Montana, the skies cleared. A coyote ran through a field near enough to the expressway for me to get lovely looks.

And the scenery! It just got better and better as the day went on. Bozeman is spectacular. Jeff has magpies--I can't wait for it to get light so I can take photos! Will add pictures from yesterday later.