Laura Erickson's For the Birds

Monday, April 9, 2007

The Hardy Boys!

I had to go to Best Buy with my son Tom today, and what to my wondering eyes should appear but the entire series, The Hardy Boys! I remember it from when it first appeared on TV, when I was 4, and it was repeated often enough over the years that it was pretty stuck in my brain. I've just barely started watching it, but oh, man--that theme song! I can't find proof anywhere, but I'm sure it was Thurl Ravenscroft singing, "Gold doubloons and pieces of eight, handed down to Applegate, from buccaneers who fought for years for gold doubloons and pieces of eight." Thurl Ravenscroft, who just died in 2005, had one of the coolest voices on the planet--he was one of the Mellomen who did the great dog songs in Lady and the Tramp--his voice was the deep one.

A Barn Owl is featured in one episode. They show a real Barn Owl "calling," but its voice doesn't sound like any Barn Owl or recording I've heard. There's a super fake cardinal "singing" too--it drives me nuts when they pretend whistling people are songbirds.